Training to be a Research Assistant is as follows:
Read these General Employment Policies
By virtue of accepting a research assistant position, you agree to keep BYU student employment policies, including:
- Be professional in appearance and in the execution of your job duties.
- Keep average weekly work hours within the limits set by the professor.
- Meet BYU Student Employment requirements
- Clock in and out of work accurately. Make corrections as needed. If the system will not let you correct your timesheet, email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Personally follow safety rules and enforce safety rules as you direct other students.
- Maintain privacy of students.
Complete the Required Safety Training
All ME first time employees are required to take the following trainings before beginning work in your respective labs:
- New Hire Safety Training (Mechanical Engineering)
- Child Protection Training
- This one training should be renewed yearly.
- Y-Time Corrections Mis-Punch
- Sexual Harassment Training
Proof of completion of these trainings must be emailed to email@example.com in order to receive credit. Trainings must be done within one month of hire to your position, otherwise you may be subject to termination.
We expect these trainings to take about 3 - 4 hours of your time, which you can either clock in for, or report to the secretaries for payment.
Additional safety training may be required by your supervisor, depending on your work location and responsibilities.
Getting Room Access
There are two types of door access in the Mechanical Engineering department - keypad access, and card swipe access. Each type of door requires a different access form.
- KeyPad Access
- If it is a CAEDM lab code, you can access the door code online at caedm.et.byu.edu
- For other labs, your professor must email or verbally grant you approval to the front office secretaries, and they will write down the door code for you.
- Card Swipe Access
- First, please make sure that your student ID is active
- Have the ME secretaries email you an adobe sign form with the doors marked for access. You will complete the form, and then it will be forwarded to your approving professor for their signature.
- After the professor has signed the form, you can expect the door access to be enabled between 24-48 hours.
If there is a delay, please check first with your approving professor to ensure they have granted access in the proper form.