After students have been admitted to BYU and then completed the requirements below, they can apply to the ME Professional Program. Upon acceptance, students can take all required courses toward a BS in Mechanical Engineering.
APPLY NOW - CLICK HERE (This link will be come available 10 days before the application deadlines listed below.)
- You must be in good academic standing and you must receive a grade in the following courses before applying. The Application GPA upon which admissions decisions are made will be determined by equally weighting the GPA from these classes. (See policies below regarding AP courses, transfer courses, and old ME curriculum courses.)
- The first physics course taken at BYU: PHSCS 121, PHSCS 123, Ec En 301
- The first math course taken at BYU: MATH 112, 113, 302, 303, 213, 314, 334.
- The first mechanics course taken at BYU: ME EN 101, CE EN 203, CE EN 204.
- ME EN 191, ONLY AT BYU (PASS Grade required)
- Submit the required online application by the appropriate deadline:
- By February 10 for Spring Term admission
- By July 10 for Fall Semester admission
- By October 10 for Winter Semester admission
- AP Courses: BYU Credit for AP exams can fulfill graduation requirements. However, since there is no grade assigned to AP courses, they cannot be used to calculate the Application GPA. For purposes of calculating the Application GPA, students must either (a) take the BYU equivalent course or (b) take the next course in the physics, math, or mechanics sequence.
- Transfer Courses: If students have transferred equivalent courses from an ABET-accredited program, the grades from the transferred courses can be used in calculating the Application GPA. Alternatively, students MAY either (a) take the BYU equivalent or (b) take the next course in the sequence. Credit for non-ABET-accredited courses can count toward graduation, but cannot be used to calculate the Admissions GPA. Students MUST either (a) take the BYU equivalent course or (b) take the next course in the sequence. See Transfer Students for more information.
- Acceptance Criteria: Only 220 students are granted acceptance to the professional program each year based on the Application GPA. Students may apply for admission more than once; however, each course may be retaken only ONE time (includes withdraws). When a course is retaken, the higher grade will be used to calculate the Application GPA.
- University Policy: Students must select and declare a major by the time they have 60 earned BYU credit hours (excluding language exam credits). Once a student has 75 earned BYU credit hours (excluding language exam credits), they will not be allowed to change their major, unless special permission is granted.” Students should consider this policy in connection with reapplying.
Admission GPA Cutoffs
Winter 2021 - 3.31
Fall 2020 - 3.23
Spring 2020 - 3.23
Winter 2020 - 3.13
Fall 2019 - 3.23
Spring 2019 - 3.37
Winter 2019 - 3.37
If you have questions about the application process, please email the Undergraduate Advisor, Miriam Busch (firstname.lastname@example.org).