Technical & Computer Resources
ME Equipment and Technical Support
- Project Support Center and Equipment Checkout: The PSC provides equipment checkout, sales and project support to BYU undergrad and graduate students and faculty. We also provide training and scheduling for much of the ME Department equipment such as the tensile testers, wind and water tunnels, heat treating ovens, microscopes, etc. The PSC is located in 154 Clyde Building.
- ME Prototyping Lab: lists equipment in EB 117, hours of operation, and how to reserve machine or lab assistant time for help on class or personal projects.
ME Computer & Study Labs
- Clyde (CB) 110 - computers and study space (not available when classes held in this room).
- Clyde (CB) 230 - rarely available during the day, but open during evenings and weekends.
ME Computer Support
- ME Computer Support Page: instructions for remote off-campus log-in, how to fix NX and Catia licensing errors, and submit a Support Request for other help.
- ME computers and printers: including problems, purchases, and installations, please create a request at My Helpdesk so that one of our technicians can help you.
- Ink and paper for ME printers: for ink, contact ME front office secretaries (801-422-2625 firstname.lastname@example.org) when low ink warnings appear. For paper: pick up at 435 CTB. Contact CAEDM for ink and paper in college computer labs.
- CAEDM (college) printers: including ink, please contact CAEDM.
College Computer Resources
CAEDM (Computer Aided Engineering Design and Manufacturing) manages the Ira A. Fulton College of Engineering and Technology shared computer resources. Click here for a complete list of their services. Some of the most popular include:
- Remote CAEDM Labs with LabConnect
- Group Websites and Filespace
- Network file space (J: Drive)
- Remote Graphics System (RGS)
- Citrix (may require VPN setup)
- BYU Citrix Apps
- CAEDM Labs
- Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Website Space
Other Computer and Software Resources
- Fulton Supercomputering Laboratory: If your research project requires computing resources that exceed desktop capacity, Fulton Supercomputing Laboratory might fill your needs.
- Microsoft Software: Microsoft Office 365 is available for all BYU students, which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. Visit office.byu.edu and carefully read the instructions (put @byu.edu after your BYU username to login). The Microsoft Developer Network Academic Alliance (MSDNAA) is a program to download additional Microsoft software programs for academic related, non-commercial purposes. Available software includes Windows, Visio, Project, Visual Studio and more. Login with your CAEDM account credentials.
- VMWare Software: The VMWare Academic Program allows students and faculty to download VMware products and software for academic related non-commercial purposes. Log in using your CAEDM account credentials.
- Autodesk Software: Autodesk offers free software for students at Autodesk.com/education.
- Solidworks Software: BYU has student licenses for Solidworks - email email@example.com with your name, BYU Netid, and your major for access.
- Other software from BYU: BYU has some free software for students on BYU Software Distribution (see each license for usage details). Additional BYU software can be accessed remotely vi https://apps.byu.edu.
- Other Engineering Software: The BYU College of Engineering offers additional software that may be accessed remotely using RGS or Citrix.
- Some of the software available in the labs includes (available remotely in most cases too through apps.byu.edu, citrix.et.byu.edu, RGS, and LabConnect):
Altair HyperWorks, Adina, Ansys, AutoCAD (Inventor, Civil, Revit, Fusion, etc.), Comsol, SWMM, Fluent, iSight FD, LSDYNA, SolidWorks, Creo, Eagle, EES, Foamworks, Matlab, SPSS, JMP, Labview, Mach, Maple, MathCAD, StarCCM+, Mathematica, Minitab, R, SAS, NVivo, Microsoft Visio, MS Project, MS Access, Endnote, Igor Pro, VMware, OpenSim, Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite (Creative Cloud, Distiller, After Effects, Animate, Bridge, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, InCopy, InDesign, Media Encoder, Photoshop, Prelude), Adobe Acrobat, MS Visual Studio, and more.