We are looking for new graduate students to start Winter 2022! If you are graduating this semester and considering graduate school, you can still apply for Winter 2022! We will be accepting Graduate School Applications through October 15th.
Below is an overview of application requirements. If you have questions about the application process, please contact Janelle Harkness (email@example.com).
Overview of Application Materials
1. Applicants must have a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field (engineering, physical, or mathematical sciences). Applicants with a degree in a related field may be provisionally admitted to the program and will be required to take prerequisite coursework determined by their advisor at the time of admission.
2. Applicants with a cumulative GPA below 3.0 are not eligible for admission. The average GPA for recently admitted applicants may be viewed here.
3. All applicants must submit GRE exam scores. All exam scores must be valid. We will not accept expired scores or waive the GRE requirement. Average GRE scores for recent admitted applicants may be viewed here. Students with lower scores may consider retaking the GRE.
4. All applicants must provide the following as part of their application:
- Statement of Intent (Ideas for Statement of Intent)
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- GRE Scores/GPA
- Ecclesiatical Endorsement
- Transcripts from universities other than BYU
5. Applicants are encouraged to contact faculty members to explore research and mentoring opportunities. Some areas of research currently being conducted can be viewed here. Faculty profiles and contact information can be viewed here.
6. The Mechanical Engineering Department does not waive application fees. However, we do strive to provide some financial aid to graduate students in the form of fellowships. Funding decisions regarding tuition scholarships, research, and teaching assistantships are determined by individual faculty members. The cost of tuition may be viewed here.
7. Applicants applying for the joint MS/MBA program must apply to both the MS and MBA programs separately. The applicant should indicate their intent to seek joint degrees on both applications and in the Statement of Intent.
For questions, contact Janelle Harkness, Graduate Program Manager.